Here at Apex Physiotherapy and Chiropractic, one of our treatments, which we take a lot of pride in, is our Shockwave Therapy. Therapeutic shock waves have been around for decades, and were first introduced as a medical treatment that can eliminate kidney stones. A shockwave is an intense, acoustic wave that can travel faster than the speed of sound. As of today, shockwave technology has been used on millions of people around the world. It has helped to treat a myriad of musculoskeletal, neurological and soft tissue disorders. In addition, it also showed benefit in the treatment of certain tendon disorders, including rotator cuff tendinopathy, calcific tendinopathy, elbow tendinopathy, plantar fasciopathy, and Achilles tendinopathy. All of that being said, is shockwave therapy really worth it?
Results of a Large Systematic Review
A large 2015 systematic review investigated the efficacy and safety of shockwave therapy, and provided a review. It includes the following findings:
- Based on this study, Shockwave Therapy is effective. In fact, 88.5% of the trials that were observed exhibited better results than placebo or other alternative treatments.
- Shockwave Therapy is completely safe. No serious side effects were reported.
- For certain conditions, like plantar fasciopathy, non-calcific supraspinatus tendinopathy and calcifying tendonitis of the shoulder, Shockwave Therapy shows better effectiveness compared to other treatments.
- If local anesthesia is given during a Shockwave Therapy treatment, it can negatively affect the end result.
- At Apex Physiotherapy and Chiropractic, we use radial and focused shockwave therapy devices. Both devices have been found to be great, successful options.
- The notion that radial shockwave devices are ‘lower energy,’ while focused shockwaves produce a ‘higher energy,’ is false.
- It is best to spread the treatment across three sessions, once a week. 2,000 impulses should be applied each session, and it is to be done at the highest possible setting, one that the patient is able to tolerate.
Shockwave Therapy is a great solution for certain musculoskeletal conditions and has scientific evidence supporting it. It may cause some discomfort for patients, but it has been proven to be safe and no serious side effects or issues have been found either. Treatments don’t require a very long time or many appointments.
We offer many excellent, successful treatments at Apex Physiotherapy and Chiropractic. Our Shockwave treatment in Ajax, Pickering, provides quick sessions and rapid results. If you’re in need of an appointment, we can guarantee that we will give the best shockwave treatment, thanks to our reliable staff and trusted expertise. Call us today at (905) 492-2739.